Monday, October 3, 2011

Autumnal adventures

Notice: This post was supposed to be posted last week!
Remember when I said I decided it was going to be fall? Well, this week, fall has delivered, big time. I think my love for this time of year grows with every autumn I spend where leaves turn, temperatures drop, apples grow, and the breezes turn from cool to crisp. The only thing missing this autumn is a good old pumpkin spice latte and some pumpkin itself. Otherwise, I have been taking part in what autumn has to offer these days. This week, my schedule for toxicology has been significantly less than that of last week and the weather has just been so perfect, this only means one thing....get out! More on this later.
My busy week last week ended with a wonderfully relaxing friday night with Avery as we both couldn't muster up the energy to go out. Instead, we decided to take the liberty to cook a yummy dinner and watch a movie, oh, and let's not forget that ice cream was included! Our first time buying ice cream at ICA and oh boy did we discover a hidden treasure! First of all, ICA sells that delicious ice cream I got when I was in Stockholm a few weekends back....saffron honey. It's the kind of ice cream that makes your eyes roll into the back of your head with pure indulgence. We are hoping to make some wonderfully delicious ice cream cake soon! We curled up and watched a chick flick (yes, the Notebook, for those of you wondering). Saturday we worked fika at our nation and then enjoyed another night in due to exhaustion from a long day's work. Sunday, oh Sunday was such a lovely day. I woke up a little later and lounged in my room to the sounds of fall outside and the scents of fall inside while I worked on (trying) to write for my toxicology class. Avery then texted me and we decided to take advantage of the fall weather and ride our bikes to town for some fika at Cafe Linné. First of all, Cafe Linné is located on Linnegatan right across from the street of the Linnaeus garden (which conveniently celebrated it's last day open for the season on my birthday) and Linnaeus' house. As if this already doesn't make it the coolest place in town, the spread of pastries was to die for and the atmosphere inside is cozy and comfy, perfect for those lonely November days when the daylight is diminishing and the winter cold is creeping in. Sunday was different, we ordered coffee and sweets (Avery had a HUGE meringue and I had a cookie with banana cream and white chocolate on top) and sat outside for a good two and a half hours enjoying the fall weather, people watching, working on some Swedish homework, and some good old conversation. It was a lovely way to spend a lazy Sunday afternoon!

Monday morning I woke up to the sun pouring light through the yellow leaves of the trees outside my window. It was a warm morning and I was able to cycle to class without a heavy coat. After class, a few of us went into the center to grab some things and after most of us dispersed, my friend Babsi and I decided it was too nice of a day to just go home. We hopped on our bikes and rode to my nation for their daily organic soup lunch for a mere 35 SEK!! That is a bargain for a full lunch, or meal for that matter! The soup was amazingly yummy with leek, potato, carrot, peas, and lots of other veggies. It came with creme fraiche on the side, along with a really good salad with apple and the best bread I have possibly ever tasted. We sat outside and enjoyed the sounds of fall and the opportunity to have a quality, one-on-one conversation. After we left my nation, we decided to try to get lost and ended up at the castle overlooking Uppsala. It was just breathtaking! I was cringing the entire time without my camera. The city is beautiful from above, and it was spotted with red and yellow trees! We then decided to try and get more "lost" and go to one of the city's forests. We didn't get lost, but we did end up in a forest where we wandered around looking for mushrooms and enjoying each other's company. I love when I get to spend quality time with a new friend and make lasting memories. The breeze blew and the leaves shivered and we meandered around the forest in hopes of finding some dinner. It was lovely to see another part of the city I have not explored yet, and better yet, it was spent with a new friend!

Tuesday was not as eventful as I was writing all day (no class, woohoo!) but Avery and I did go apple picking which included climbing an apple tree to grab some fruit and filling our bags with enough apples for the week. Who needs a grocery store when you have apples practically in your backyard? Oh, I love fall.

Wednesday we only had class for about 10 minutes and then we cycled home and I had the girls over at my place this time for some lunch. These girls are from my toxicology class, and they also live in Avery's corridor, so we often have lunch and/or dinner together, and we get to spend the days together in class. Charlotte and Teddy are from the Netherlands and Babsi is from Germany. The three of them came over for lunch and we all cooked curry together and then headed to my room for a fika complete with buns! During our conversation, favorite movies came up, and it was discovered that Teddy had never seen The Notebbok. So, we decided then and there that we were going to watch it. What the heck....it was gray outside, we were all cozy anyway, and we had nothing else to do! So we all curled up on my bed with some fall candles lit and watched The Notebook on my computer. Yeah, it's sappy and cheasy, but we all sat together crying on my bed, but it was cozy and it was lovely, and that's all that matters. It was an afternoon well spent with good friends!

The week continued on with wonderful memories and unexpectedly warm, sunny weather. More to come. Pictures to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment